Thursday, November 12, 2009

Irony

"An ironic thing about churches like Lawndale is that because they have chosen to pour their limited resources back into the local community, many outside of that community have never heard of them." (Jim and Casper Go To Church, pg 72)

I often, about once a year, wrestle with the desire for public recognition. Growing up in the church I wanted to be a youth pastor who was passionate about youth ministry who stuck with it over the years. I hoped to be the one who broke the mold and was in the public (church) eye for that.

I find myself in a small urban neighborhood church plugging away daily in an unknown ministry. Well, I should say unknown denominationally and nationally. Which is where most of us live. However, there are times I just want a little bit of recognition. To be noticed for the work we've put in to making our neighborhood reflect a little bit of the Kingdom.

As I read the quote listed above, it rang true for me. After attending Nazarene denominational conferences this summer and fall, I've realized those who are in the main light are there because they've placed themselves there. They are there because of a desire to network and travel. Not to negate what they are doing for the Kingdom, I realized where I am and what I'm doing is being true to my calling. My call is to have my hands dirty in the mess of the daily function of the church.

It's Ironic that the churches possibly doing the most in and for the community are the ones least known for their good works. But, as Jesus says - the kingdom is upside down.

No comments: