Monday, February 3, 2014

intuition or something more?

Wednesday (last week) I took my son to preschool and headed to Newport Beach for an all day conference. As I drove east on Artesia, headed for the 405, I had an odd feeling – I just didn’t want to go. I couldn’t pinpoint why. However a few thoughts came to mind : the conference was at the same time of another meeting I wanted to attend, none of my friends were going  to this conference, and I didn’t want to fight the traffic. Silly reasons right!?!

Since I was already in the car, had already paid for the books that accompanied the conference, and had to pick-up the books at the event – I pressed on.

I arrived to the venue, found a seat, and did my best to wrap my attention around what was being shared.

To my surprise, my attention was quickly averted (and not by my doing)!
Before lunch my wife called.
My son’s preschool called.
He broke his arm.

Here’s what’s been spinning around my head for the past few days : Is there a connection between me not wanting to go and what happened that morning? What is intuition? and what role does it play?

Merriam-Webster defines it as:
in·tu·i·tion
 noun \ˌin-tü-ˈi-shən, -tyü-\
: a natural ability or power that makes it possible to know something without any proof or evidence : a feeling that guides a person to act a certain way without fully understanding why
Wednesday morning, a feeling swept over me, I didn’t want to g
o to the conference. I couldn't explain it. It didn't make sense.

Over the past few weeks my wife and I have been watching Warehouse 13 (from the Sci-Fi channel). If you’re not familiar with the series, one of the main characters (Pete) has what he calls vibes. He gets these feelings in his stomach. He doesn’t really know what they are or what they mean, but he has learned to pay attention to them and respond. Pete get’s a “vibe” something bad is going to happen and it puts him on high alert. Along with his sense of humor, Pete’s “vibes” prove to be a fun part of the show.

Sometimes in the Christian community we might attribute an experience like this to the workings of the Holy Spirit. Scripture says the Holy Spirit has come to guide, instruct, and journey with us. The Gospel of John 16:13 says this of the Holy Spirit : “When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own but will tell you what he has heard. He will tell you about the future.” (NLT)
As a pastor, one who has devoted one’s life to “knowing” God & his ways – I still have so much to learn. Sometimes I wish I could be more like Pete – and simply recognize the “vibe” I’m experiencing, reflect upon it, and respond.

My son’s arm is in a bright red cast.
Holding him back from donkey kicks or a playground won’t help him grow and develop. 
But being receptive to the workings of the HOLY SPIRIT : THAT IS what I want to live and teach!

No comments: