Friday, January 8, 2010

In-Laws… or In-Loves?


I went to a Memorial service yesterday. It was for a youth pastor at our sister Nazarene church (Aurora) 8 miles away. Jordan Crouch died in his sleep Sunday morning at 1am. He was only 28 yrs old.

I didn't know Jordo, but I know the staff he worked with well. Mark (the other pastor I work with) and I thought going to the memorial service would be a good way to support our fellow ministry partners. Although I didn't know Jordo well, I was deeply moved throughout the service. Jordo, being just shy of two full years younger than me, got married a week before Bree and I did and had a son 3 months after Phineas, my son was born. It was easy for me to relate to the pain and loss of those present. The stories of smiles and good times touched the hearts. The message shared by Jim Manker spoke truth into the sad situation.

While sitting in the ceremony, several things stood out to me. The one I want to touch on is the reference to Jordo's wife's family. They were spoken of not as in-laws, but as in-loves… his father-in-love, his mother-in-love. These seemingly insignificant modifications to a common term spoke volumes to me about the kind of life Jordo lived. From what I gather from even this slight modification from in-law to in-love, Jordo displayed for all to see his passion for the Kingdom of God; his desire to love God, love life, and love family.

I hope to continue – having participated in a memorial for a colleague I didn't know – to live (as my friend Jason Harwood said) a better life having known him. I hope to live in-love. May my relationships be defined, not by the law, but by the Love – the love Christ so graciously has bestowed upon me!

No comments: