Monday, May 9, 2011

5.8.11 Dining With Jesus


Since we’re still in the “get-to-know-you” phase, have I told you this yet? I love to eat. If not, let me tell you something about me: I love to eat. I love to eat all kinds of food. I love to eat in all kinds of locations. I love to eat. I love to eat at home, out with friends, with family and even by myself. I love to eat Italian, Mexican, and American foods. I particularly love to eat things like pizza, burritos, and ice cream. I love to eat.

I assume most of you are like me. I love to eat, and eating is more than just for nourishment.

I love to eat. Well, assuming many of you are like me, and knowing I’m new to the area; tell me a few of your favorite places to eat. (Don’t start just yet - I brought a pen and paper so I can take notes.)

Eating is more than just for nourishment.

Our Gospel text this morning from Luke 24(13-35) in many ways is about how a meal is more than just about physical nourishment.

Our day’s Scriptural Story begins in the late afternoon on the first day of the week following the crucifixion of Jesus. And we have two guys, two disciples, who are leaving Jerusalem just forty-eight hours after Christ’s death. These disciples stayed in Jerusalem for two full days as they tried to make sense of what had happened, and they finally begin their journey home as they leave Jerusalem and their buried hopes behind.

These two disciples leave Jerusalem through the West Gate and begin walking the road to Emmaus – A small town about seven miles from Jerusalem. Their grief was great, for the One they had believed to be the Messiah had been stripped, beaten, humiliated, and put to death on a cross.

As these two walked into the deepening shadows of the evening light, caught up in their own conversation about the events of the past few days, they were joined by a third person. It’s difficult to say exactly why – perhaps it was the sun in their eyes, the distraction of their own conversation, the weight of their grief, or perhaps even the Holy Spirit, who veiled their discernment – but for whatever reason the two men did not recognize the third person – And yet it was Jesus, the very one they were talking about.

The men continued on their journey. They walk, they talk, and they don’t recognize Jesus.

They approach Emmaus and their home, and it appeared that Jesus would go on. But, as it was getting late, and it was their custom, the two men asked him to stay. So Jesus stayed.

Once inside, the three men sit down to gain some nourishment. They sit down for a meal.

In many ways eating is more than just for nourishment.

As I think about sitting down for a meal, I believe it does two important things for us. 1) A meal often provides an opportunity to interact.  2) A meal can remind us of prior experiences.

So, as we look at the first one, “A meal often provides an opportunity to interact.” How does it do that? Well, most often we enjoy meals in the company of friends and family.

Growing up, my parents were pretty insistent upon us sitting at the table together each night. We always had meals together. They would ask us about our day and share things from theirs. The table was an important place for our family to interact and connect. We knew one another because of the time we spent at the table, sharing a meal, sharing life!

So often, when we get together with friends, food is involved. We suggest lunch, or dinner to reacquaint with old friends, to keep up with current friends and to get to know new ones. We all need the physical nourishment of a meal, yet we so often couple it with the opportunity to interact with others!

A meal can also remind us of prior experiences. Have you ever had a meal which immediately made you think of some other time or experience? Sometimes just the function of being together with friends – around the table, eating pizza, can remind you of all the good ol’ stories you’ve had together.

Sometimes just sitting down for dinner at a particular restaurant can remind me of different experiences. It’s weird, while I’ve gone to California Pizza Kitchen for much of my life – I often think of one of my friends from high school. I guess Justin and I ate there a handful of times together… but beyond other friends who I’ve been to CPK with, my mind most often is drawn to Justin.

There are other foods which remind me of specific times and places and even people. Chocolate covered strawberries remind me of weddings, and particularly mine. Having lamb takes me back to the Gaza Strip. Eating lasagna reminds me of my mom, Swedish Sausage – my Aunt Pat, GodFather’s Pizza – Karla, Grilled Zucchini – Eric, Buffalo Wild Wings – Hazzel, and Sushi reminds me of Bree.

Since it is Mother’s Day, what foods remind you of your mom? For me, it’s either lasagna or Chicken Noodle Casserole. One’s a good memory, one not so good. What foods remind you of your mom?
           
In many ways I think eating is more than just for physical nourishment. I believe Jesus knew the power a meal together can hold when he instituted the Eucharist. As he broke bread and shared the cup, I think he was telling us about the power in communion. There’s something powerful about breaking bread, eating, and being together.

At the Last Super, when Jesus took the bread and broke it, when he took the cup and passed it, he told his disciples to remember. And this function of remembering is very powerful. So often we limit the remembering of the holy elements to the worship service. But I have grown to love this time of remembering beyond the traditional sacramental use in the church service.

It was probably while in Seminary that my emotional and cognitive connection with eating and participating at the table exploded. I’d already begun appreciating the elements. I had always loved eating with people and remembering… but it was hearing the story my Professor Dr. Hahn shared of his son that truly flipped the switch. His son Timothy is a few years older than I am, but his simplistic wisdom in many ways far succeeds my own. Timothy is a young man who has carries the weight of Down Syndrome, and perhaps it is this perspective which allowed him to articulate Jesus’ words and actions so clearly.

One day during class Dr. Hahn told us a story about sitting down at the family table for a meal. As they passed the turkey and the potatoes and the bread, his son looked over at him and said –  In remembrance dad! In Remembrance, in remembrance Dad! And Dr Hahn, even being the smart, theologically minded, seminary professor that he is, asked his son – Timothy, what do you mean?

I love the physical elements of the bread and cup. I love how different things can draw us back and we can remember specific, different, and detailed aspects. I love to hold the bread in my hand and remember Christ’s body… I love to be able to rip a piece of bread from the loaf and reflect upon Christ’s body being beaten and in many ways torn apart.

I love the process of dipping the bread into the cup. Sometimes – when you’re lucky, a little bit of the juice dribbles down your hand. Like the blood Christ shed for us, on the cross, dripping down his face and hands.

These elements can powerfully connect us with the real presence of who God is, and how he has stepped into our lives! But in many ways, these elements are not limited to the Holy practice we place them in within the church. The bread and cup, like a Down Syndrome boy can attest are simply that – common items – found in communion.

Interestingly, Dr Hahn lead a weekly worship service at his church that was purely word and deed. The service had no music, but each week they had a message and participated in communion. Dr Hahn’s son Timothy always participated in that service. And that evening as they sat around the family table, as they shared food and specifically the bread – Timothy put the two together. With tears in his eyes, Dr. Hahn realized Timothy was acutely aware of how they were participating in the very real presence of God’s Holy Communion.

Luke reminds us that it was at a common meal, among new – yet old friends, that Jesus was recognized. In many ways eating is more than just for nourishment. As we eat we are given the opportunity to come into communion with one another and with the real presence of Jesus Christ. A meal provides us the opportunity to interact and even reflect upon prior experiences.

As we break bread together Jesus asks us to remember. He didn’t tell us to remember when we go to church or we go to worship. He didn’t ask us to remember when we’re on vacation in his beautiful creation at the beach or in the mountains. He tells us to remember when we are doing an every day, three times a day, kind of activity. We’re to remember when we do something which in many ways nourishes us, and keeps us going.

The beauty of the meal, and particularly of the meal shared at the end of Luke’s Gospel, is that it not only reminds us, but it also invites us. It not only reminds us, it also invites us!

Our Gospel text this morning from Luke 24 in many ways is about how dinner with Jesus is an invitation to a new life. As we remember Christ’s sacrifice, we are invited into a life of self-giving. As our eyes are opened to the presence of God, we are invited to be clothed with power from on High.

In our Gospel Text, it wasn’t until Jesus was at the dinner table with the two from Emmaus—breaking bread, giving thanks and sharing together—that the scales of doubt and defeat dropped from the men’s eyes and they recognized who it was they were eating with. The disciples became aware of who Jesus was as they broke bread. As they broke into the common elements – their eyes were opened, and they remembered.

For us, I believe the road to Emmaus is a beautiful reminder that it is often through our common meals that we can be reminded of God’s sacrifice for us, his presence among us, and his invitation into his life of love for tomorrow.

In times of darkness and confusion – When we are walking along our own roads to Emmaus, may we too be reminded of God’s presence among us as we participate in the common practices of sharing a meal together. God is with us, walking, talking, listening, and ready to share his life giving sustain bread of life.

As you dine with friends and family, may you always be reminded of the past, as you reflect upon the present, while recognizing God’s active presence among you!
           
As we come to the Lord’s Table today, we trust in the fact that it is a means of Grace. It is a means of understanding, connecting, reflecting, and inviting. Partake of these common elements this day and remember the life that was, is and will be – ever present ever inviting, and ever loving.


As you go, meet Jesus at the tables of life. Go and Love!

No comments: