Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Pastor's Retreat

Growing up in the home of a pastor, I had heard of these annual gatherings year after year.

I never understand what took place at the annual Pastor & Spouse Retreat.
To me, it all sounded really boring. My perception was that a bunch of old people sat around a conference center drinking Iced Tea. I figured they played rummikub and shared with one another their cheesy sermon illustrations as they listened to speakers, slept on crumby beds, and literally just sat around without their TV-Guide in hand. Throughout my life, in many ways, that epitomizes my perspective of what takes place each year at Pastor & Spouse Retreat.

After a year and a half as Lead Pastor at Beach Cities Christian Fellowship I attended my first Pastor's Retreat. I've been a pastor for a number of years, yet, have never gone.
(Last year, as I saw it = we conveniently had already scheduled our family vacation, and it coincided with the retreat. So I was unable to go. I lost zero sleep over it!)

But this year, vacation isn't scheduled for another 2 weeks.
This year, I had no excuse.
This year, I went.

Sunday afternoon, while my son begged me to play with him and his new Bucky Ship, I packed my bag. I grabbed snacks. I loaded up the mini and headed out. This past Sunday, I journeyed to the base of Big Bear Mountain and joined other pastors from the Anaheim District as we ate together, worshiped together, listened to a speaker (General Superintendent Graves) together, and played together.

To my surprise --- IT WAS NOT BORING!
While the cynical side of my mind tried to gain ground, I laughed, I ran, I ate, and I climbed.

The worship times were great.
The sarcastic reflections (by the "old man") of the previous night were outstanding.
The snacks... filled my tummy.
The messages... inspired.
The meals... tasted great.
The free time... engaged all; as we either went shopping, climbing, or napping.

Had I known growing up that my dad was leaving us to go play with the other kids - I would have thought differently of the events. Perhaps had he told me they got to Zip-Line, climb Rock Walls, and whittle through a Rope Challenge Course - I would not have loathed the idea - and instead would have lavished in the thought of participating in it myself one day.

Having gone and played with the big kids - I now look forward to the next time! 

1 comment:

Jeremy said...

Sorry I missed your call!

I love our Pastors & Spouses Renewal. It's a blast. We have it at a hotel with a huge indoor water park. It's crazy funny and fun to be there with everyone.