Wednesday, February 18, 2009

communal living

Communal living is a hot topic these days isn't it? With the economy spiraling down, I have heard of many friends and neighbors interested in "out of the box" living situations. I've heard of people who have lived by themselves for 10+ years thinking about having roommates again. I've heard of young adults wanting to cut down costs, and moving in with friends. Our governments are even on the communal living band waggon as neighborhoods are being rezoned for denser population.

Within the church we too often hear of people desiring to live intentionally within a community. We have seen this done in many ways. And, I'm sure many of us have our own thoughts about it. I know I do. I'm drawn to it, but like my own space. I want to live, build, and support others, but don't know how...

When I lived in Kansas City a Nazarene church transformed a house next door to the church property; they turned it into a community house for men. There were some guys who were coming out of addictions, rehab, and other situations which needed the support of Christians guys; and there were others, who saw the value in coming along side a brother in Christ.

In Shane Claiborne's book the Irresistible Revolution he describes his own life. Along with some friends he developed a small community of believers. They focused on loving God, loving others and supporting one another.

I read on MSN today about a similar living situation. One where individuals together planned meals, finances, and time together as adults and with their children each week. In all respect, they were truly living in a micro community, supporting, loving, and caring for one another. (All things, when we're honest, are what we as followers of Christ feel compelled to do.) Here's the link to the article: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/29239960/?GT1=43001

At this point in life, I don't promote this "non-traditional" expression of community, but can't help wonder what it is telling us about our neighbors longings for communal living.

No comments: