Monday, February 16, 2009

SPACE, creating * visioning * imagining

I have been wondering what it means to create space. Or to recreate it, re-vision it, or re-imagine it. We all have space in our lives poorly used. And it is such space which draws my attention.

Over the last several months and even the past few years I have been able to participate in the recreation of space. From our old 1910 home to our 1950's church building - space has been redefined, re-visioned, and re-imagined.

And this leaves me wondering, as I hear of others having life words or slogans which define their motivation, the mission, if mine might have to do with space.

I'm not so concerned with outer space - as in the land out beyond our galaxy, as I am with the inner space within our lives, and the outer space in which we live it. For so often we live our lives in such ways to attain retain, and acquire space simply for the filling.

The inner and outer spaces of our lives have the potential for much more than the filling of. Our lives have much more to offer than the storage of the past.

And it is with this thought, as we look at space within our church building and wonder what use it could be in the coming days for the kingdom, that I wonder about my life words. It's with this thought, as I long to encourage others to interact with God, that I wonder about my life's mission.

Creating space is much more than mere words on a page. Creating space is much more than building a structure. I believe we can create space to interact with others, create space -out of old space - which brings new life and purpose, and I believe we must create space within our lives to be in relationship with our God.

So here I am, creating space - both outer & inner.

No comments: