Thursday, March 26, 2009

Season

In the midst of Lent I find myself with mixed emotions. Joy & Sadness. Life & Death.

My wife and I are anticipating the birth of our son. Exciting times, as I sit here and watch her deep breathe through contractions.

This morning I went with Mark, the other pastor I work with, to visit an elderly member of our congregation at the hospital, which was difficult. And, we have another friend, who has been battling terminal cancer for 3 years... not knowing if her time is coming to a close... even now as I write.

This season of Lent, where we remember the suffering Christ experienced, his death, and then glorious resurrection, is tugging at my heart. It is very real during this season that life and death are intermixed. Both are here. Both take place, even at the same time. We can celebrate and mourn. We are the church, in Death and New Life - One season - one church.

Joy, heartache, uncertainty, new hope - here we are, in the season of Lent.

No comments: