Wednesday, May 20, 2009

emergent.

I got an email which entailed a section from the book The New Christians: Dispatches from the Emergent Frontier. One quote in particular stood out to me. "The hope of emergents, their ministry, their message is, more than anything, a call for a reinvigoration of Christian theology—not in the ivy towers, not even in pulpits and pews, but on the street. ... "

In the general church and in the Church of the Nazarene there is much debate about the emergent church. I've heard name calling, seen pointing of fingers, and even heard words like heretic used.

I don't align myself with the emergent movement... however, I don't dis-associate myself either. In actuality, I'm weary of those against and for the movements. Yet, the quote above taken from Tony Jones book draws me to wonder how any thoughtful, heartfelt follower of Christ can turn their back on a movement and a people striving to invigorate Christian Theology.

Christian Theology for a lot of people, in their minds and in their daily lives, is dead. Yet Jones draws the connection that all of life is based on our Christian Theology. He stresses the message of the church is to reinvigorate the people with the passion of following Christ. And to this, I resonate.

No comments: