Monday, June 15, 2009

friend in need

On June 6th our church had a small fire. The fire trucks came out (something like 9 engines), the news reporter showed up (camera and story ready) and we were told we'd be on the 10:00 news.

Truth be told we weren't.

Another church was however. Their congregation had a larger story, with someone breaking in their building having jumped through the glass door. As he jumped he cut himself began bleeding and left his blood all over the church contaminating everything.

The news report the first night didn't really show much, it simply gave the basics... the address, the closure for services the next day, and so forth. The details were limited. To be honest, I was a little sad and disappointed we didn't make the news with our fire.

A week later the story of the church break in was still getting press. Saturday afternoon I heard who caused the damage, breaking the door and shedding blood.

Obviously troubled, the accused was arrested and is now locked up awaiting a trial.
The man who jumped through the glass door and cut himself and contaminated the facility was a friend - a frequent guest of Mosaic.


As I heard of the ongoings of his life over the past 2 weeks, I can't help but wonder about him. I wonder how he is, how he got to where he is, and how God's people can continue to wrap their loving arms around him. My heart and prayers go out to him.

I wonder in light of our call to love - how did we love Daniel?
I wonder in response to our to be for the disenfranchised - how did we support Daniel?
I wonder how can we - as the church - love and support the Daniels living in our neighborhoods.

Daniel is our friend, a friend in need, and my thoughts and prayers go out for him!

No comments: