Monday, July 13, 2009

GA

Last week we got home from our church's General Assembly. It happens every four years. Over the course of my life I've gone to almost all of them that I could.

Well this year was an interesting one. We elected our first non-white, non-North American as one of our 6 General Superintendents. This was great news for our little denomination. Since we consider ourselves a global church, it is a good step following our 100 year anniversary, to have global leadership.

We elected 3 new generals at this assembly, and one I was ecstatic about, one indifferent, and one disappointed. The one I was disappointed with - isn't so much that I'm disappointed with him as a leader, but where he is coming from. David Graves has been pastoring the Olathe College Church in Olathe Kansas. What bothers me is that the last 3 pastors who have pastored that church have gone on to be General Superintendents. This bothers me that one church can have so much power within our denomination. I don't think it's right, and to be honest, it makes me sick to think about.

No comments: