Monday, March 5, 2012

Lent 2B - Lose Your Life to Save It


Lent 2b      March 4, 2012
Mark 8:31-38       Lose Your Life to Save It

Two Options:
A.  a)  Simon Says or Follow the Leader.
B.  b)  Questions:
1.    What have you done that was: a hard decision & hard to do? (new workout? diet? counseling? dentist? missions trip?)
2.    Was your choice was worth it?
3.    What reward did you receive?
4.    How was your life changed?

Today’s Message is a “3 point message!”
          The 3 point message is Biblical.
                             It’s “Jesus-ical”!
1.    Turn from your selfish ways
2.    Pick up your cross
3.    Follow me

v In this life:
§  What do you have to lose?
§  What would be the most difficult thing in your life to give up or give away?
§  Facebook Responses:
¨       My family & irreplaceable family heirlooms
¨       My Family
¨       Pudge Pizza (I think that was just in gest…)
¨       Air
¨       My kids

Ø  How does our situation, personality, history, experience
          play into “OUR” Cross?

v Is everyone’s cross the same?
§  Is my cross the same as yours?
¨      Disciples – leaving behind their family
     (let the dead bury their own)
¨      Rich Young Ruler
     (go, sell everything, then inherit…)

Ø  Is the “YOUR” here purely individual – or is it also corporate?

We find in vs 34 – Jesus speaking and calling the crowd
          This message is for EVERYONE!      

v What does it mean to follow?
§  In Jesus’ day, what did it mean?
§  How is it different today?
¨      Is it different? Should it be different?
§  What does it mean to be a disciple?
Ø  You must be discipling!!!
§  (Forming Christlike disciples in the Beach Cities)

v Sometimes we’re crippled to follow.
§  Why?
Ø  Because we see the larger picture
¨      and don’t know how to do it!
§  We see a half marathon… and decide we can’t do it
§  We see a giant mountain… and decide we can’t do it.
§  We see a whole village… and decide we can’t do it.

“Major league catcher Rick Dempsey once said that good baseball players can’t think about winning the World Series or winning 162 games – the big questions. He said that you have to break the game down to its smallest parts: one game, one inning, one pitch at a time. If you’ll play it one pitch at a time, you’ll eventually look up and see that you won the game.

Following Jesus and the way of the cross begins with small steps. Later, we’ll look up and discover where he’s led us.”

SeaStar story: Here’s one… I can help this one!

Vs 38 = If anyone is ashamed of me and my message in these adulterous and sinful days, the Son of Man will be ashamed of that person when he returns in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.”
(Aw DANG!)

v What is God calling you to do?
v How is he asking you to follow him?
·        One time I was called to start a business within the church – a coffeehouse.
¨      There were those who thought it was utter foolishness. Not “of God”
·        One time I was called to run in a half-marathon
¨      I doubted it myself!
·        One time I was called to fly to Tanzania, climb a mountain, visit some kids in dire communities, and impact their lives.

v What is God calling you to do?
·        Can I climb a mountain?       NO – not right now…
·        Can I run a half marathon?   Yep – check.
·        Can I climb a mountain, get kids sponsored… and be forever changed?             Yep!

v Remember that famous passage:
·        I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

v What is God calling you to do?
·        Turn from your selfish ways.
·        Pickup your cross.
·        Follow Jesus Christ.


Ø  The Kingdom of God is upside down!
o   I shouldn’t be able to do that!
o   I’m too big.
o   I’m out of shape.
o   I’m this… I’m that…

Ø  The Kingdom of God
     Asks us to turn from our selfish ways and follow him.

Lose your Life to Save It!
          What do you have to lose?
                   Your self respect,
                   Your dignity
                   Your pride

Are you willing to set aside your:
          self-righteousness and self-preservation?
          And be utterly shameful for the cause of Christ?

Christ’s Kingdom is an UPSIDE DOWN kingdom.
-      It’s contrary to the ways of the world.
-      It demands you turn from your selfish ways
-      It requires you to Pick Up Your Cross
-      It’s following in the ways of the Liberating King!
     The King who came to set the captives free!


As you go, Turn from your selfish ways,
Pickup your cross and
Follow Christ.
Go and
Love.

No comments: